Querying Roles

Topics: User Forum
Jan 22, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Hi all,

Firstly, well done on such a fantastic project. The ability to query properties of a cube is greatly missed and your project seems to be filling that gap quite nicely.

Secondly; Do any of your procedures query the Roles?
What I would like to be able to do is generate a list that will tell me:
Name of role, Name of Dimension (not all dimenions, just those that require data to be limited), Name of Attribute (the client attribute), Name of Members that are ticked

The end result would be an email that is sent to account managers and gives a list of each role letting them know what the role can see.
So if they get an email with

Role: Vodaphone
Dimension: Product
Client Members:
Vodaphone
Orange
O2

They'll know a role has been set up incorrectly and vodaphone can currently see everyones data!!!! Panic!!!

I'm trying to implement some kind of safety net as mistakes happen and relying on 1 person to set up a role correctly is 1. risky and 2. unfair.

There doesn't see be any way to do this so it's possible that you guys are my last best hope.

Regards,
Phil
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM
This was on my list to investigate, I have just had a look and set up a sample report which you can see a screen shot of here: Discover Reports I think that it's pretty similar to what you have listed except that the "Client Members" section lists members by their unique name, so they will list in the form [<Dimension>].[<Attribute>].&[<key>] which may not be something that your end users can comprehend.

If this is a problem for you the only way around it that I can think of at the moment is to write a .Net function to parse this field and lookup the names or re-format to your requirements.
Jan 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Wow dgosbell, you are a legend!!!

From the screenshots it looks like its exactly what I need. It doesn't matter about the <dimension>.<attribute> showing as its only for internal use and they can ignor it. The main bit is the <key> as account management can scan through the list and shout if any of the <key>s listed don't belong in that role.

Apologies for my complete ignorance but is it just a case of getting hold of a C# compiler and compiling the ASSP project or do I need to do something in the ASSP Reports folder? I've not done any C# before - just lowly VB.

Regards,
Phil
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM
Darren can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you download the binary for the latest release from the Releases tab and deploy that DLL, then it will have everything you need to support the new report Darren created for you. Just download the rdl from the Source Code tab (as that RDL isn't in the Release 1.2 source code).
Jan 25, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Ah I see. The note about it not being in the latest release confused me, I thought I might have to recompile or something! I have it working now thank you.

If there is anywhere I can throw some praise around just let me know as you've been awesome. Thanks again. Regards, Phil