This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

DISCOVER_MEMORYUSAGE

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM
I tried using the MemoryUsage sproc, which seems to work fine, but now I am struggling with deciphering what it all means. My total memory is around 200Mb throughout the day, but when I look at the msmdsrv.exe process, it is at 1.7G shouldn't these numbers be roughly close?
Mar 7, 2008 at 9:06 AM
Didn't you get an OutOfMemory exception when you ran it?
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2956414&SiteID=1

If so, let us know how it looks after you're able to get it enough memory to succeed.
Mar 8, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Yes, sorry I shouldn't have said "it ran fine" because I put the sproc call in a sql agent job, and it continued to populate the cube with data, so I assumed it was working, when in fact it cause the error every time it ran.

I got the latest code from codeplex and compiled it and that seemed to fix my out of memory error for some reason.

Does some of the data align with the LowMemoryLimit and TotalMemoryLimit configuration options?
Mar 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM
LowMemoryLimit and TotalMemoryLimit are SSAS server settings that are used to put an upper limit on memory usage by SSAS. So in that sense, the data in the MemoryUsage cube should never be higher than those settings. But actual SSAS memory usage will usually be below LowMemoryLimit.