Error after reboot

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I have an ssis package that runs CALL ASSP.discoverXmlMetaData("\Database|Name\Cubes\Cube\MeasureGroups\MeasureGroup\Partitions\Partition");".
This works great except for the first time I run it after a reboot.
This is the error message I get:

XML for Analysis parser: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed.

I simply rerun it and it works fine again. This happens every time after a reboot. Any ideas as to what would be causing this?
Aug 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I think the issue might be the timeout setting in the ado.net source. It looks like it was failing after 30 seconds and that is what the timeout was set to. I extended it. Any reason why it would take longer after a reboot?
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
That seems like a good guess. That was my first thought.

After a reboot, SSAS will take some time to load up all the databases the first time someone connects. If you have several large databases, this could easily take 30 seconds.

If you will let us know what .cs file and list your code changes, we'll be happy to get this bug fixed in the source code.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Or is this just the timeout in SSIS?

A reboot will mean you have a completely cold cache including your metadata cache. After a restart the SSAS instance will only load a minimal amount of metadata in order to get the service up as quick as possible, then the additional information will be loaded on demand. This is probably what you are seeing. It was particularly bad with partition metadata in the 2005/2008 versions as it had to do a full scan of the partition files to update the estimated size information. This has been improved in the later versions. So you should probably look at extending the timeout and trying to reduce the number of times you do a reboot.
Aug 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Much appreciated!

This makes sense thanks for explaining that. I assume changing the timeout will fix this issue. I will post back if that is not the issue, but expect this to fix my problem.
Thanks