Filtering on multiple items is disabling custom drill through actions

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:39 PM
I have defined a custom drill-through action that it works perfectly through Excel when I have selected only item selected in a filter in the pivot table. However, when I select multiple values in the filter the action doesn't even show up on right clicking and going to the Actions menu item. The Actions menu item is disabled.

Is this an Excel bug? Is there another way to set up the SSAS Action? Why would selecting multiple items in a filter affect a drilldown action?

thanks
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:56 PM
This is not a bug it's just a feature limitation in SSAS. Drillthrough queries only work on intersections that have only one member from any give hierarchy or attribute. The concept is that you should drill down as far as you can in the pivot table until you've isolated a single intersection and then you drill through on that to get more detail.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to drill through on a multi-select. There is currently a connect item open requesting this feature which you could vote on here https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/813823

I'm not aware of any workaround for this. The available actions don't get returned to the client if there is a multi-select active so no code is run and there is no way for us to override this. Microsoft would need to change the behaviour in SSAS to fix this.