This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Patitions created by ASSP.CreatePartitions() not visible in VisualStudio

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Hi!

I successfully applied ASSP.CreatePartitions() on my cube. I already processed them- they appear in Management Studio and they work very well.

On the other hand - I see only one single partition in my Visual Studio Project (partitions tab of the cube editor). I'm using Visual Studio Professional 2013.
While processing the cube from Visual Studio I can see all the partitions - but finally only the original one is visible.

Maybe i can update the view somehow?
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM
What was the sequence of events?
  1. Deploy from source code to server
  2. Run ASSP.CreatePartitions on server
  3. Expect to see changes in the offline source code?
Or were you in Online mode (connected live to the server from Visual Studio)? If so, did you do a refresh or open and close the solution?
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Hi!

I did the following:
  1. Deployed and processed the cube from Visual Studio solution
  2. Run ASSP.CreatePartitions on server
  3. Reprocessed the cube from Visual Studio
  4. Closed and opened the solution
  5. Expected to see changes on Partition Tab of the cube designer
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM
It doesn't work that way. The solution always pushes to the server. It does not sync changes made on the server.

The only way to "refresh" the solution with changes made on the server is to create a new solution and import the design from the server.

What we normally do when dealing with partitions created on the server is to use the Analysis Services Deployment Utility. This lets you deploy changes made to solution while keeping the partitions which were created on the server by some other utility (like ASSP). As long as you don't change the structure of the measure group. If you do that you'd need to re-create and re-process all the partitions.
Marked as answer by furmangg on 12/19/2014 at 4:29 AM
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM
Hi!

Thank you very much for your explanation!

I have one additional question:

I'm using Visual Studio for designing aggregations (Aggregation Design Wizard). How can I apply/assign my aggregation design to the partitions?
At the moment it should be the same design for all partitions.

Thank you in advance!
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM
Hi!

I figured out (in management studio) that all partitions use the same (and only) aggregation design by default.
This is that I wanted,

But is there a possibility to assign a specific design to single partitions?
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM
You can either use the Edit Aggregations function in BIDS Helper (from the right click menu on the cube) to add secondary aggregation designs and assign partitions to those by right clicking on the aggregation design and choosing the "Change Partitions" option.

Or you can use the Aggregations tab in the cube design (which was added in SSAS 2008) by right clicking on the aggregation design and choosing the "Assign Aggregation Design" option.

Both of these will work with either the project or you can connect to the deployed database on the server and change the aggregations. In both cases you need to re-process the aggregations after changing them for the change to become effective.
Jan 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM
If I recall, the ASSP CreatePartitions function will look at the aggregation design assigned to the first existing partition before it replaces all the partitions using the requested partitioning strategy. If this isn't what you're seeing, let us know.

Darren's suggestions would let you fix it after you've run CreatePartitions