This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

assp.dll is not working with SSAS 2014 CU4

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 5, 2016 at 4:51 AM
Hi All,

CALL ASSP.discoverXmlMetaData("\Database")" is not working . when i debug this further in assp project i find that the issue is with CurrentDatabaseName Property function in ADOMDServer and client for 2014 CU4 Patch.

In 2014 CU4 its getting this data table result set as NULL whereas in 2014 old SP1 version it works fine

On below microsoft hyperlink , you will find this function is only available till SQLServer 2012, looks like now this is deprecated .
it will be good if we can get the alternate code name from microsoft for SSAS 2014
Code Snippet :-
 Database db = server.Databases.GetByName(AdomdServer.Context.CurrentDatabaseName);
Link :-
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.analysisservices.adomdserver.context.currentdatabasename(v=sql.110).aspx

Namespace: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdServer
Assembly: msmgdsrv (in msmgdsrv.dll)
Feb 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM
I don't believe that API is deprecated. We believe that this is a bug in the recent CU's for SQL 2012 and 2014. I'm not sure why there is no version for 2014, but if it was deprecated it should be clearly identified in the documentation for at least the prior 2 versions.

What we've observed is that any function that returns a rowset is now returning no results after SQL 2014 SP1 CU3 or SQL 2012 SP2 CU 8. In versions of SQL prior to these CU's the rowset stored procedures worked fine.

In the discussion on this thread http://asstoredprocedures.codeplex.com/discussions/646900 a support case has been raised with Microsoft, but I am not aware of any resolution yet. If you need this fixed I suggest you contact Microsoft Support as well this appears to be something that was broken by Microsoft. (if you do raise a support case you should be able to get it linked to the case number on the other discussion thread above)
Feb 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM
I've spoke to a couple of the developers who are now looking into the support case from the other discussion thread, unfortunately they have not been able to replicate the issue. I've sent through screenshots and a couple of debug dumps to them from a machine where I could replicate this, so hopefully we'll get some movement on this issue soon.
Feb 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM
OK, so this has been confirmed as a Microsoft bug.

If you are running SQL 2012 SP2 CU8 -> Upgrade to SQL 2012 SP2 CU9 to fix this

If you are running SQL 2014 SP1 CU3 or CU4 -> Upgrade to SQL 2014 SP1 CU5 to fix this
Marked as answer by dgosbell on 2/24/2016 at 8:19 PM